How long does sugar cookie dough last? Hey, you’ve got a sweet tooth?
Over the years, the refrigerator has been a great choice for storage and long-term preservation of perishables. It keeps food in safe and edible condition even after a long period of time.
For homemakers, get yourself organic flour at affordable rates
Here’s what you need to make that delicious, yummy sugar cookie; All-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, softened butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
As much as these ingredients give you the right recipe for a mouth-watering sugar cookie dough, it also tells how best to preserve and store it.
So, how long does sugar cookie dough last in the fridge?
Sugar cookie dough can be left out in the open for only 2 to 4 hours, after which it must be refrigerated. It must first be in an air-tight container before keeping it in the fridge. With this, the sugar cookie dough can last 2 to 5 days.
Home-made sugar cookies don’t stay long in the fridge due to fresher ingredients with lesser preservatives.
What’s stopping you from trying out this vegan inspired dough, you can it here at the amazon stores
You can refrigerate it before baking because aside from preserving what’s needed, cooling the dough enhances flavor, dough spread, and improves texture.
How Long Does Sugar Cookie Dough Last In The Freezer?
Freezing is an option considered when the intention is to preserve for a longer period.
Sugar cookie dough can stay fresh in the freezer for 6 to 12 months if you store it properly in the right conditions necessary in the freezer.
The best part of this is that you can thaw and freeze the small quantities in the refrigerator when needed.
The shelf life of a cookie dough depends on the way of storage, ingredients used, and type.
Frozen raw cookie dough will last 9 to 12 months in the freezer whereas a regular old frozen cookie dough will last 1 to 2 weeks.
How Long Does Pillsbury Cookie Dough Last
The Pillsbury cookie dough which is the commercial cookie dough sold at supermarkets can stay in the freezer for 6 to 9months.
Although, there’s no need to freeze it for long because it is a pre-portioned cookie for a baker’s emergencies.
Homemade ones have fresher ingredients with lesser preservatives, but if frozen, they can last 6 to 12months.
How To Freeze Sugar Cookie Dough
Most cookies are better frozen after they are baked such as; shortbread, gingerbread, and sugar cookies.
- Make sure they are completely cooled first.
- However for a sugar cookie dough to freeze, the dough must be fully chilled before freezing.
- Press into a round disk and wrap it tightly in a plastic wrap.
- How long does kit kat last in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature?
- Do pringles go bad in the fridge, freezer, and pantry?
- How long do uncrustables last at room temperature?
How To Freeze Before Rolling?
The following steps should be taken to freeze sugar cookie dough before rolling and cutting it into various shapes and sizes:
- Get the cookie dough into a paper covered with flour and roll it into a ball.
- Flatten the ball a bit.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Place it on the baking tray and put it into the freezer.
- Freeze for 2-3hours until it’s firm.
- Now the bag can be stored uprightly in the freezer.
When ready to bake, remove the bag and thaw at room temperature.
Use a rolling pin to roll and cut out various shapes and sizes. Then bake and enjoy.
How To Freeze Sugar Cookie Dough After It Is Cut Out In Desired Shapes
The following steps will ensure the safe freezing of beautifully shapes sugar cookie dough
- Roll out sugar cookie dough and cut it into desired shapes.
- Cover in an air-tight container.
- Place in the freezer till it’s frozen.
When ready to bake, thaw at room temperature and bake accordingly.
How To Freeze Baked Sugar Cookies
Cookies are ready? But they look so much and you can’t consume them at a go! No worries! Simply freeze them well.
- Unfrosted cookies: You can place them in a well-closed container and freeze them. When ready to use, remove the container and thaw at room temperature before frosting.
- Royal icing frosted cookies: The royal icing should first be allowed to harden fully before freezing. Line in a container and freeze. Ensure there’s no excess air in the container.
- Buttercream cookies: Frost cookies first, then place them on a baking sheet. Freeze for 2-4hours until frost is frozen.
Now place the cookies in an airtight container.
Thaw it in the refrigerator at any time you want to use it.
How Long Does Sugar Cookie Dough Last At Room Temperature?
As a general rule, any cookie dough left on the counter at room temperature may be good for 2 to 3 hours, after which it risks going bad.
Hence, it is best to store sugar cookie dough in a small airtight container and refrigerate or freeze it.
If your environment is hot, sugar cookie dough should be stored in the fridge even earlier.
Bacteria may grow in foods when left out for too long, especially cookie doughs.
Baking may not be enough to kill these bacteria resulting in stomach upset rather than a delicious sugar cookie dough.
Ingredients in sugar cookie dough, which makes it prone to bacteria attack, are; Eggs and butter.
This is why refrigeration is needed to prevent spoilage.
Salmonella is found in eggs, while Escherichia coli is found in flour.
It is definitely not safe for a cookie to sit out overnight.
If it stays more than 2 to 4 hours, discard it immediately.
Baked cookies can be left at room temperature, although they should not be wrapped or sealed in order to maintain freshness.
You can store the baked sugar cookies in the refrigerator to make them fresh for even longer.
- How long does rose water last in various storage conditions?
- Do pot noodles go bad in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature?
- How long does sausage casserole last in the fridge, freezer, and on the counter?
Is Sugar Cookie Dough Crumbly?
The answer is no! sugar cookie dough is not crumbly except some you made some baking errors during the mixing process.
Crumbly is when it is capable of breaking into small fragments.
Pastry dough becomes crumbly mainly when it is too dry if there isn’t enough moisture to hold the dough together.
Generally, a dry, crumbly cookie will not hold a ball shape after baking.
To answer the question, sugar cookie dough can only become crumbly when baking errors are made.
Such as; over mixing, using too much of any ingredient, etc.
However, do not panic! You can correct this with ease.
The consistency for sugar cookie dough is rolling it up to 1/4-inch thick.
It will result in soft, tender, and perfect sugar cookie dough, rather than breaking or tearing, or too thick so much that it doesn’t bake evenly.
Dry cookie dough is never good. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to fix dry cookie dough.
First, find out the exact cause of its dryness because there are many reasons which are as follows;
- Not enough fat
- The liquid is not enough
- Too many dry ingredients
- when you mix in excess
- Dried in the fridge.
Now the solutions to the problems are here;
- Add liquid (water, milk, egg, egg white), one tbsp at a time to get it to the stage of the right consistency.
- Add some fat (butter, Vegetable oil, Crisco)
- Massage it with your hands and mix it thoroughly
- Let it rest. Seal it and leave it for an hour. This is the solution to overmixing.
- Fix the treat by making an extra dough without adding the over ingredients.
- Blend the new dough and dry it.
Is Sugar Cookie Dough Gluten-Free?
The recipe and ingredients of a sugar cookie dough will determine if it’s gluten-free or not.
To get a gluten-free sugar cookie, get the following ingredients handy;
- Use gluten-free flours such as; “measure for measure” or “1 to 1”.
- Leave it time to chill.
- Frost and decorate.
The procedures to follow is here
- Add the salted butter and white sugar together in a bowl.
- Cream until it’s pale yellow. Add 2eggs, one at a time.
- Mix until egg is combined and add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, stir gluten-free flour which has a binder(xanthan gum), baking powder, and salt.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add to the wet ingredients, batch by batch.
- Then bake. Behold! a gluten-free sugar cookie.
Just like your normal sugar cookies, you can freeze the gluten-free ones well
How To freeze Gluten-Free Ones
- To freeze the dough, divide it into half and wrap each half tightly.
- Then freeze. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight when ready to bake.
- To freeze baked sugar cookies, cool cookies completely.
- Then later in a bag and freeze. Eat or frost directly from the freezer.
They thaw quickly.
How To Tell If Sugar Cookie Has Gone Bad?
Mold on a cookie means it’s not good to consume.
When the edges start to discolor and turn dark, they should be turned into the trash can.
If it’s hard rather than doughy, it’s no longer safe.
If it gives off a sour smell and is rancid, it shouldn’t even be put in the mouth.
Something comes up in the middle of your baking, and you rush to attend to it, carelessly leaving your sugar cookie dough on the counter.
Well, note that it shouldn’t be left at room temperature for hours.
The maximum is one hour if the room temperature is high.
Discard unsafe cookie doughs and make new batches or cook until all potential bacteria is eradicated.
However, it’s best to practice the safest means of storage by refrigerating in an airtight container.
Eating raw sugar cookie dough is not all good due to egg and flour bacteria.
If you crave raw cookie dough, they are produced and made egg-free, with the use of special flour.
You can get them easily in supermarkets or some online stores like amazon.
Food safety may not seem like a big deal until you get hit by a food-borne illness instead of a delicious munch of cookies.
Store cookies properly and cook thoroughly.
Everyone with their likes and dislikes, but if you crave this amazing food so much ensure you know the answer to the question ” how long does sugar cookie dough last ”
Proper storage of this amazing lunch meal is a good way to make it last longer.
It has so many health benefits which I will want you to find out yourself and I bet you would want to consume more.
I have been able to give you all that you need to know about the storage and shell life estimates on this lunch meal.
Keep your food safe and try to maintain proper hygiene at all costs.