Does shea butter expire? Shea butter is gotten when you extract it from the nut of its tree called the African shea tree.
Shea butter dates far back in BC years that its uses are immeasurable. It has different names and some I want to pen down in this article, The scientific name is Vitellaria Paradoxa, in French they call it Karite.
And since it is from the Africa tree we have to go to Nigeria(the biggest and largest country in Africa) and asked for its native name.
So, in the Yoruba land, they call it Ori, in the Hausa land they call it Kadanya and in the Igbo land they call it Okwuma with the host of other names we can’t mention here.
Let’s hear what it’s you call it in your language, right here in the comment section. Check out this affordable and natural shea butter on amazon stores.
Are you suffering from hair loss and you were advised to give shea butter a try, but you keep wondering about the shelf life of shea butter or if it will last long or do well after a long period?
Are you planning on throwing out the leftovers, because you think it isn’t useful anymore?
Don’t throw out that leftover shea butter. In this article, we will be exploring the world of shea butter, all the pros and cons, the storage method, the shelf life, and some exciting parts you don’t know before.
Ranging from the question does shea butter expire, how long does shea butter last, how to tell if it is bad, how to store and some intriguing things you have to find out yourself.
Relax, read, comment, and do not skip a line!
S0, does shea butter expire?
The answer is Yes! shea butter expires. Although, shea butter is good in all body areas but has an end.
Everything has an expiration date even for the fact that it has a long shelf life, it must expire someday.
Searching for how to know if shea butter is bad? We will be discussing that later in this article.
- How long does sweet potato casserole last in the freezer, fridge, and at room temperature?
- Does nori go bad in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature?
- How long does rosemary last in the refrigerator, freezer, and on the counter?
How Long Does Shea Butter Last?
Shea butter has an average life span of 1 to 2 years before it can go bad if you keep it at suitable storage conditions necessary.
I am the kind of person that loves discussing this oil substance because I am a fan of it, but come to think of it who wouldn’t love shea butter?
This oil substance has many uses, it can be used as body cream, hair cream, face cream, and many others.
I prefer using shea butter on my hair because it gives it that shiny, long, and full hair I want.
So, when purchasing Vitellaria Paradoxa I do buy them in bulk and since they have a long shelf life I don’t bother about the storage that much.
- How long does lemon water last in the pantry, freezer, and fridge?
- Does fresh jackfruit go bad in the fridge, freezer, and pantry?
- How long does fresh banana cake last in the pantry, frdige, and freezer?
Should I Refrigerate Shea Butter?
The answer is Yes! you can keep shea butter in the fridge. It adapts to any place of storage, except high-temperature areas.
Refrigerating this substance isn’t such a bad idea but it’s a bad idea when thinking of leaving it there for a long time.
I think this substance does well at room temperature more than any storage place.
When thinking of refrigerating, always have in mind that it shouldn’t stay long there,
This is because moisture can easily make it turn southward quickly.
Can You Freeze Shea Butter?
The answer is Yes! you can freeze shea butter and defrost anytime you wish. It does well in the freezer than in the fridge.
When the climate fluctuates and is always hot over there, you can place it in the freezer but,
If you are having a normal climate condition (room temperature is normal) it’s not advisable to store it in the freezer.
I love storing my shea butter in the freezer not like it’s hot over here.
There are times I need something cold on my face when the weather is hot, so I go for my substance in the freezer.
- How long does green bean casserole last in the pantry, fridge, and freezer?
- Does cucumber water go bad in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature?
- How long does rosemary water last in the fridge, pantry, and freezer?
If you are thinking or planning to store your it by freezing, there is no problem in that whichever way it shouldn’t be for long storage term.
One good thing about it and what I love about shea butter is that it has different types(raw, unrefined, refined, and ultrarefined),
And it is always available whenever, wherever, and however you need it.
How To Fix Rancid Shea Butter
Rancid means oil substance that’s bad or having a bad smell. This brings us to the question, does shea butter expire?
Do you happen to wake up one day and discover that your substance is having an unusual smell?
The rancid smell is a sign of going bad and if it smells bad, it is still useful instead of throwing it out.
- Fixing this substance when it is rancid, You can create soap from it by using the saponification method.
- The saponification process is a method of separating oil from the substance and using sodium hydroxide( NaOH ) to produce soap and alcohol.
- The soap you produce shouldn’t be for public use but for personal use.
- Another way of fixing this rancid substance is to warm it in a boiler over low heat
- Then cool but stir while cooling
- Store in the fridge or freezer and you will have a nice smell from the rancid smell.
- How long does tamarind paste last in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature?
- Do shreds of coconut go bad in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature?
- How long do roast of pumpkin seeds last in the freezer, fridge, and at room temperature?
How To Tell If Shea Butter Is Bad?
Good storage only increases the length of days of shea butter and improper storage quickens the pace at which it will go bad easily.
No matter how good the storage is, when it’s time to go bad, it must go bad.
In this section, we will be discussing how to tell if shea butter is still good for eating or too bad to throw all out.
Here are some signs to tell if your raw shea butter is bad in the fridge, freezer, and at room temperature;
Firstly, check is this oil substance have any dark spots on it. Dark spots can make it look dull and that’s the first sign to tell if it is going bad.
Check for leaking or bulging containers. If you find anyone leaking or bulging out, change the containers.
Another way to tell if it is bad is through the smell. If it turns south, the smell will deteriorate or becomes off totally.
At this point, you have two options. Either you reheat or you can trash it.
Feel the texture of this substance and when it’s turning liquid-like, it is bad. Discard it immediately.
How To Store Shea Butter To Make It Last Longer?
Good storage leads to an increased life span.
Here are some steps on how to store your shea butter to make it last longer in the frdige, freezer, and on the counter;
- When purchasing shea butter from the market or the grocery shop, always select only the raw shea butter.
- If you can’t keep the refined ones very well, don’t buy them.
- Store in a cool dry place and avoid exposure to direct sunlight and high heat content.
- Keep in a container or with a tight lid or use an ultraviolet glass jar.
In this phase, I will talk about the health benefits of this amazing substance in line with the topic ” does shea butter expire ”.
Shea butter is generally a nice substance, without doubt I have use this as pain reliever and anti-inflammation on bruises.
It also works for hair growth and hair loss which has 80% effect.
This shelf-life estimates source comes from personal experience, experiments, research from high-profile websites, and journals.
Do not alter this shelf-life estimates without medical advice, if you eat bad fruits, veggies, food, and juices see a doctor.
Health is wealth, so eat well and keep safe. Remember, does shea butter expire?